Monday, December 20, 2010

Sleeping In

I slept late this morning. It has always been a bad omen for me to sleep in. Today is no different.


For our anniversary, he who had agreed with me that we would not exchange gifts, presented me with a Serta memory foam mattress topper. So, really it was a gift of good sleep for both of us. He got a deal at Overstock.com, too. Stay with me, I am laying the foundation ....... or layering ..........


We live in tight quarters and taking a cue from RV living we try to take advantage of every square inch of space. So, when I painted our bedroom and we bought a new mattress, I commissioned he who won't let me have the miter saw back, to build a foundation on which to set the mattress set. This allows me to have a row of drawers on each side and at the foot of the bed. Plastic drawers that would get lost under the bed without the center piece that was custom built to prevent that. I had used pvc pipe to make risers before that. So, the bed is high. The new mattress was a pillow top, guaranteed to not sag. They lied, it does. And with a pillow top, you can't flip the mattress. I have turned the mattress sideways periodically, but that is difficult and makes the bed a pain to make. So, he who loves me dearly, really was thinking when he bought this. Or, maybe he was tired of helping me turn the mattress and tired of sleeping in the hollow his body had created. I am certain he has been thinking about the memory foam since Thanksgiving when we slept in our daughter's bed that had just gotten a memory foam topper.


So, what does this have to do with sleeping in and bad omens? I did say that I already have a tall bed and the topper is a full 5 inches ............... making the top of our bed 36 inches from the floor. I am only 5'2". The top of the bed is even with my waist. I am not a gymnast. I am a short, plump, middle-aged woman (I plan to live over 100 years), with arthritic hands and knees. Getting into the bed is interesting to say the least. Sometimes it takes two tries to get in the bed. The dismount is easier, I sort of slide out until my feet touch the floor. Getting in involves me kind of throwing my body atop the bed and using my elbows to wiggle my way in. Why don't I use a step stool? Won't fit. He who bought the topper will have to make one for me. I did say that this is a tight space, did I not?


So, last night, I lay on my comfy bed sleeping blissfully for, oh, maybe an hour; before Oscar decided he needed to go out. I slid out of bed and found my slippers and gathered Emmy in my arms to trail behind Wall-E and Oscar to the back door. They went out, then got a drink and we all went back to bed. I tried to kneel on the bench at the foot of the bed to ease my way in, but that made my knee hurt and I still had to crawl to the top of the bed. I lay there for awhile thinking about bed entry solutions and willing my knee to stop hurting. I finally drifted back into a fitful sleep full of senseless dreams until Oscar woke me at 4:10 barking at the back door. Another dismount and repeat of the earlier trip to the back door and back to bed. This time I decided to do a little jump and land on my side. This was not the best idea I ever had. I landed on my elbow and bit my lip to keep from crying out. My elbow still hurts all the way to my shoulder.


Went back to sleep and dreamed I was at the grocery and angry about something, but I can't recall the reason. Woke up at 10:00. The water pump was going nuts, indicating a pipe had burst. I let the dogs out to make coffee and they escaped into the kampground. Wall-E was at the front door patiently waiting to be let in. Oscar was eating the cat food and finally obeyed the demand to come into the house. Emmy was missing and later found at the barn looking for he who inhabits that place. I was still trying to locate her when I saw our truck, pulling the cargo trailer, clearly exceeding our posted speed limit as it headed towards the tent area. I called him on his cell to find that he had Emmy on board and was headed to another pipe. Three pipes and of course he does not have the parts he needs ...........


So, off the the big city I go, Walmart, here I come. Bah Humbug!

10 comments:

Teresa said...

slept in so much your text is gone... your keyboard must be sleeping, too.

have a great day!

Venom said...

Hoo boy, I don't envy Mitre-man all that work, out in the cold, and wet to boot.
Bed sounds good though.

The Good Cook said...

You write beautifully - I could just "see" all of this going on... Happy Holidays Kathy. I hope there are no more broken pipes in your future.

Teresa said...

oh. my. goodness.

not fun at all.

Brian Miller said...

walmart itself can put me in a bad mood anyday...lol. glad you made it through..

SkippyMom said...

You need steps shortie. ;D Who am I kidding - I am [considered] tall and there is no way I could get in the bed, but that mattress pad sounds like a dreammmmm.

Take care and where shin/knee pads until you can get a little set of stairs. :)

mamahasspoken said...

Here's hoping you get that step stool or should I say ladder to use with your bed for Christmas!

Karen said...

Perhaps you need an elastic catapult installed at the doorway, that could just hang there when not in use. When it's bedtime, take the loose side and attach to hooks on the opposite side of the doorway, position yourself in the middle, back up a few steps, and Voila! You're in bed before you know it!

Whitney Lee said...

I think a ladder is the way to go...you can just lean it against the bed.

I hope the week has improved!

labbie1 said...

OHMYGOSH! I just got a vision of Kathy holding the dogs for dear life as she flies towards the bed when using her catapult! Oh my goodness! I now need to go wipe the tears from my eyes--I am laughing so hard!